Dubai needs no introduction, especially when most of the Bolly/Holly/Tolly/Xwood movies have covered it enough. And if not through movies, you may have heard some distant relative living in Dubai and coming this May with a ton of chocolates and gold. No wonder, the custom regulations in India have become very specific! But before you jump on to any conclusion on life there, check these interesting facts about Dubai which are bound to surprise you:
1. The local people, called Emiratis, are just 15% of the total population. Majority of the population is split between India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and European countries.
2. The Dubai police fleet includes a Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Bentley. They are the cops who make NFS look realistic.
3. The tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa, with a 164 floors is in Dubai.
4. Dubai has no address system, no zip codes, no area codes and no postal system. Hence, online shopping is not right way to shop!
5. There are ATMs in Dubai that dispense gold bars.
6. There is a golf course in Dubai that requires 4,000,000 gallons of water a day.
7. The above ground metro station opened in Dubai 2009. It consists of 42 stations and was built in just 18 months. Yes, folks, they built an entire system is less than two years!
8. Dubailand will be twice the size of Disneyworld in Florida and is expected to be the largest tourist destination by 2020. Go Alladin!
9. Big festivals like Dubai shopping festivals, luxury car parade, and an exclusive mustang parade are a showcase of high standard.
10. Do you know what locals prefer to foster as ‘pets’ at home?
11. Everything done here has to be at sky level, even if you are playing tennis!
12. The Dubai Mall is the largest shopping center in the world with over 1,200 stores. Including many major brands such as Gymboree, Pottery Barn, Harley Davidson and a bunch of designers.
13. The once upon a time deserted Dubai, is now a prime hub in the world’s economy.
14. Sales of oil constitute only 6% of Dubai’s economy.The local economy is mainly based on real estate and tourism.
15. A stunning 1,790 sq-mt. of 24-carat gold leaf covers the interior of the Burj Al Arab.
16. In Dubai robots take part in multi million dollar camel racing tournaments.
17. The Burj Khalifa is so tall that some of its residents need to wait longer to break fast during Ramadan. Residents from the 80th and higher floors see the sun longer than others living in the Burj Khalifa.
18. 40% of physical gold traded in 2013 occurred in Dubai. All together, it weighed more than 354 elephants.
19. The Dubai police has a bagpipe band. Even though it’s a Scottish thing, people just loved it and adopted it.
20. The Burj Khalifa can apparently be seen from around 90 km away.
21. Their air conditioning is not just inside the buildings, it’s also at bus stops.
22. The man who was deported for being too sexy in Saudi Arabia is from Dubai!
What do you love the most about Dubai!?